Well except maybe weigh gain, but come on being chubby around the edges just means you are happy. Right?! Well that’s what I tell myself. This last month I’ve been working hard to get my little well rehabilitation project up and running. And for the most part things have been running smoothly. The materials have been delivered and well locations have been selected.
The plan is to rehabilitated 7 existing wells that have fallen into some state of disrepair. We are providing the new pump materials and working together with the District Development Fund (DDF) a local government program who will provide the labor and expertise to repair the wells.
Many of the wells are over 60 meters deep and the length of the pipes that will be replaced are each 3 meters long. So when you do the math… like me all month long (because the plan has changed several times, not due to my poor math skills) you have to order 139 pipes. And when you replace pipes you also replace the rods inside. So that’s also an order of 139 rods.
The supply truck that brought all the materials wouldn’t fit in our long drive way, so K led a great team of guys to load up our little trucks and ferry materials from the large truck on the street in front of the house to our garage for temporary storage before it goes out into the field. They worked hard but had a little fun too.
The above picture is one of the wells we intend to rehabilitate. As you can see the cement around the well, which protects the water in the well from any kind of harmful element leaking in is in horrible condition. The well still pumps water but only barely. The head of DDF told me he thinks something is disconnected which is making pumping water much harder than is should be. This well is located inside a school yard and is used mostly by school children. They are having to work ridiculously hard to get a small amount of water. We plan to change that.
The project was supposed to begin on Tuesday… but there was a flat tire and other complications. And so I went to join the DDF team on Wednesday, but they didn’t show due to other complications. So instead of sitting around and wasting a day we, my coworker Washington and I worked along side the community gathering stones. Hey, don’t kid yourself its a lot of work. But I had a blast chatting with the wife of the community leader and other community members. The wife of the community leader was quite the woman. She is the one in the blue skirt in the picture above. Her first question for me was to ask me how many children I have. When I said none so far she asked why? Come to find out she has eight children… so yeah she wanted to know why I didn’t even have one.
I also taught… or better yet attempted to teach the group of boys who helped collect stones the game Red Light Green Light. Its a good game if you have limited language skills. However, the concept of freezing when I turned around didn’t really work out too well. Most of the boys ran so fast, there was no way to stop in time. So it was like the longest game ever… each time I saw every boy still moving, so they all had to start at the beginning again. But I think they enjoyed it… I loved every minute of it.
And so now I’m hoping the DDF team made it to the first site today. I plan to go out on Friday to assess the progress and or to come up with a plan B. In the mean time I baked… just to keep the stress away and because when working on something that isn’t coming together the way I would have planned I like to bake. I like the satisfaction of finishing something and having the end result turn out well. Its something I started in grad school and I’ve continued it, because it works for me.
Of course I needed help eating the goods that I baked, and I’ve got the greatest team to offer up their services.
I think the team secretly loves when my projects go a little off track… perhaps I should look into whether these delays aren’t being caused by someone inside my office.
Nope, I’ll just keep baking.